14 views 2 mins 0 Comment

TN to conduct second mega vaccination camp against Covid -19 on September 19

- September 16, 2021

Chennai, September 16 (BPNS)

After the success of the first mega vaccination camp against Covid -19 conducted on September 12, the state health department would hold the next camp on September 19. In the first mega vaccination camp, a total of 28.91 lakh beneficiaries were inoculated which was much above the target of 20 lakh people.

State health minister, Ma Subramanian said that the state has a stock of 17 lakh vaccines only and has written to the Union government to provide more vaccines for the second mega vaccination camp to be held on Sunday. He said that the state would prefer a stock of 20 lakh vaccines and said that it expects the centre to provide an adequate volume of doses within two days times.

The state health department had set up 40,000 booths across the state to vaccinate the eligible population and the mega vaccination camp turned out to be a resounding success.

State health minister, Ma Subramanian while speaking to BPNS said, “ Till date, 52% of the eligible population of the state has been vaccinated with the first dose and the remaining 48% have not received it. Before the mega vaccination camp on September 12, the percentage of people who have received their first dose was 45% and this has increased to 52% following the camp. This will be repeated in the next camp and proper grass-root work has been initiated on the vaccination camps across the state.”

He also said that the state has not compromised on the number of samples being tested and added that the state was testing 1.5 lakh samples a day for Covid -19.

A statement from the office of the health minister on Wednesday said that the state has vaccinated 4,33,981 pregnant women, 3,41,837 lactating mothers, 1,80,142 differently-abled people,2,223 destitute, and 1754 people with mental illness.

The state health department will also conduct door-to-door survey of people with comorbidities and volunteers have been deployed for that. The district health officer will coordinate the programme and will be closely monitored by the state health department.