3 views 46 secs 0 Comment

Food poisoning: 16-year-old girl dies , 31 hospitalised in Kerala

Thiruvananthapuram, May 1 (BPNS)

A 16-year-old girl, Devananda of Karivellur in Kannur district of Kerala died after eating a Chicken Shawarma from a hotel in Peelikode, Neeleswaram, Kassargode  .31 others who have consumed food from the same restaurant on Friday, Saturday and Sunday are admitted to various hospitals in the district. The girl had eaten the ‘Shawarma’ on Friday from the hotel.

State food and civil supplies department in a statement said that the hotel, ‘Idea Food Point’ at Neeleswaram is functioning without proper license from the department. The shop is sealed and closed and Kasargod district collector is directed to conduct an investigation.

State health minister Veena George has ordered a comprehensive inquiry into the incident.

Senior CPM leader and minister for Urban affairs and Excise, M.V. Govindan while speaking to BPNS said, “The government will conduct an investigation in all food outlets across the state. This should not happen and government will not allow such things to happen in the state of Kerala.”

He said that the government will take steps to ensure that quality food is provided to the consumers at hotels and said that stringent action will be taken against erring hoteliers who are functioning without a license and failing to provide quality and healthy food to consumers.