Thiruvananthapuram, August 2 (BPNS)
A high alert has been sounded across north Kerala in the backdrop of heavy rain forecast. At the same time, the intense heavy spell of rain, caused by the southwest monsoon, on Tuesday claimed the lives of six persons including that of a two-and-a-half-year-old girl. The monsoon fury being witnessed by the state from July 31 has so far claimed 12 lives. The state to date opened 95 relief camps and a total of 2291 persons were shifted to these camps.
“The day witnessed minor landslides and flash floods. But till now everything is under control. Nine teams of the National Disaster Response Force have been deployed at Idukki, Kozhikode, Wayanad, Thrissur, Malappuram, Ernakulam, Kottayam, Kollam, and Pathanamthitta. In addition to that, two units of the Defence Security Corps and one column of the Indian Army have been stationed at Kannur, Palakkad, and Thiruvananthapuram districts,” said Pinarayi Vijayan, chief minister.
At the same time, the India Meteorological Department has forecasted intense rainfall for the next three days. A red alert has been sounded for Alappuzha, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Idukki, Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Wayanad, and Kannur districts on Wednesday. The remaining four districts – Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Pathanamthitta, and Kasargod – have been provided with the orange alert.
Of the casualties reported on the day, Kannur reported three deaths, and Thiruvananthapuram, Kottayam and Ernakulam reported one each death. As many as 23 houses were completely destroyed and 71 houses were partially destroyed in the rains on the day.
“Around 27 houses were completely destroyed and 126 houses were partially damaged in the rains from Sunday. Most relief camps were opened at Kottayam (21). Educational institutions of 11 districts will remain closed on Wednesday,” said a revenue department official.